Membership in the William & Mary Symphony Orchestra is open by audition to all members of the William & Mary community. All new and returning members are required to audition.
Auditions will be held in Room 207 of Ewell Hall, on:
- August 30th from 9 AM – 11 AM and 1:30 PM to 6 PM
- August 31st from 9 AM – 12 PM and 1:30 PM to 6 PM
- September 1st from 9 AM to 11 AM and 1:30 PM to 6 PM
- September 2nd from 9 AM – 12 PM and 1:30 PM to 5 PM.
Sign-Up for Auditions: In the past sign-ups have been done in person at Ewell Music Hall. From now on audition sign-ups will be online. Please follow the link below to select your time.
Each audition will last no more than 15 minutes and consists of:
- A selection of a solo work for your instrument (sonata, concerto, etude, etc.) which should not exceed 5 minutes.
- Orchestral excerpts for your instrument, posted as PDFs.
- No need to bring auxiliary instruments (piccolo, english horn, bass clarinet, Eb clar., contrabassoon, etc.) unless new members desire to show special proficiency.
- Please Note: If multiple parts are included on your instrument’s audition PDF, please make sure to prepare the excerpts marked in red brackets on all parts
Exception for 2017-2018: There will be no Spring auditions this year. Usually, Spring auditions are retention auditions intended to ensure that orchestra musicians keep practicing over the long break between semesters. Since the audition material will be performed in October, we will not have mandatory auditions in the spring. However, the music director will audition potential new members at this time. Please contact him for more information.
Preparing the full part is highly recommended, but you will only be asked to play the excerpts in brackets at the audition. Note that all new incoming violinists should prepare the Violin I part.
- Violin I
- Violin II (Returning Violin II only)
- Harp (Not Yet Available)
- French Horn